November: We are less than two months away from Christmas! It’s time to start hunting for presents. If you are a doll collector, or if you know someone who is, you might want to consider Chinese porcelain dolls. They make a good alternative to your usual Royal Doulton figurines.
All porcelain dolls featured here are hand made and hand painted. They have delicate fingers, beautiful flower hair pieces, precious jewellery and accessories (some are movable), and vibrant color clothing. They can be elegant princess, or happy peasant girl. From their facial and body expressions, you can have a quick glimpse into their lives.
Click on the image to see it in full size.
1. Lady Lounging on Bamboo Chair. Bamboo has a nice cooling effect. No wonder she is looking relaxed. Notice her jade bangle is movable.
2. Qing Princess. She is sitting down fixing the tassel of her princess hat. She is looking upward. Is she about to greet her Emperor Father, or her lover?
3. Girl Checking Eggs. Wow Mother Hen, you are doing a great job! Here, check out her eggs!
4. Lady Resting on Rock. She is wearing delicate flowers on her hair, and a beautiful dress with butterfly patterns, and holding a fan. The title of the piece (written on the rock) is 花好月圆 (good flowers round moon), meaning it’s a full moon night with flowers blooming, and she’s admiring both the beauty of the moon and flowers. Blooming flowers and full moon also represents it is full-ideal time for wedding.
5. Girl Preparing Paste with Mortar and Pestle. In the old days without the luxury of food processor and all kinds of crazy kitchen appliances, that’s how we do: everything by hand. And sometimes we used our feet too! Notice how she uses her foot to hold the bowl.
6. Girl Admiring Flowers and Butterfly. Is the butterfly attracted by the flowers, or the beauty of the girl?
7. Girl Combing Hair. On her way to the market selling vegetables, she is having a quick rest to comb her hair. The title of this piece written on the rock is called “喜悅” (Joy). Joy is a simple thing: Once in a while, slow down, and enjoy a small and simple act like combing your hair, will give you joy.
8. Girl Holding Cherry Blossoms. Flowers on hair, flowers in hand, flowers on the tree, flowers everywhere! She must be enjoying the fragrant of the beautiful blooming cherry blossoms.
9. Girl Holding Flower and Fan. She’s going fast (look at the tassels on her dress). Where is she going?
10. Girl Carrying Basket. She is wearing traditional tribal dress, she is carrying her flower basket, holding onto her hair scarf, ready for work.
11. Girl Practicing Calligraphy. This set has three pieces: The girl figurine, the desk, and the pen. She is practicing the word “福” (Blessing), a popular symbol we put on the door during Spring Festival or Lunar New Year.
12. Princess Playing with Pet Bird. This set has two pieces: The Princess figurine, and the Bird with stand. Would you sing a song for me, little bird?
13. Girl Carrying Basket of Flowers. She is wearing tribal dress carrying a full basket of flowers.
14. Girl Freeing a Bird. Please bring my love to my loved ones.
15. Woman With Umbrella and Basket.
16. Princess and Mandarin Ducks. In traditional Chinese culture, Mandarin Ducks (鴛鴦, yuān yāng) represent a life-time couples. Hence they are frequently featured in Chinese art and are regarded as a symbol of conjugal affection and fidelity.
17. Girl with Ducklings. She is wearing tribal dress, carrying a basket of ducklings. Notice how detail and cute those ducks are!
This is just a small list of what we have in store. If you are interested please feel free to contact us or drop by our store. Hopefully this post gives you more gift ideas!